Tuesday, December 05, 2006

"The Fall" of Friends

To our generation Friends have become an integral part of our lives. We might have got independence 60 years ago as a nation, but I honestly feel that this generation is the most Liberated one in terms of thought process. We think of individuality, have the audacity to question age old traditions and not follow them in blind fate. For this, we have to be partly thankful to our parents aswell who provided us the financial independence. Cause i know for sure, at least in my case "Individuality" and "Rebelliousness" was not a luxury they could afford. They always had to take responsibility of others, first as children and then as parents. I dont have that restriction, I can spend my life as ME; not as my father's son or my son's father.

We have extended this right of choice and individuality in selecting the people whom we want in the 'Circle'. How close they are to our parents, or how close a relative they are, barely influences that decision. And, if we are perceived as being rude, in the process, so be it. We choose whom we want to be friends with. Its not that we nit pick our friends, but we do choose whom we want to spend our time with. These people with whom we enjoy spending time, become friends. With others we are just social.

When I left Mumbai for graduation 2 of my best friends were there with me. Then when I had to move to Bangalore for my job, I was very happy to know that one of them would be joining me. We somehow ended up not staying together, but it's still comforting to have your friend just a phone call away. Even after coming to US I was lucky enough to make a few new good friends.

But Today, I stand like a maple tree after Fall, just bare branches. Most leaves have fallen near the root, not with me but still close. But some, have been blown away to far off lands by the winds of change....

Today for the first time in my life I am feeling lonely... but not sad.....
I take heart in the knowledge that, like all winters this too shall pass and spring's just round the corner....

PS: On reading the blog I've realised that "WE" has been used a lot. It is entirely my opinion of "US", ‘our generation’ and you have the right to differ

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very true!! Nicely written!!

Harsha S Rao said...

Nice...I have done well as a mentor ;)

Mayuresh said...

To Harsha: you have taught me well master Obi-Wan Kenobi.

To Sneha: Thanks for reading it. :)

Shubha Prashanth said...

Sahi kaha tune....well expressed!!

Anonymous said...

Nice article....its true.....