Tuesday, November 24, 2009

There and back again.... almost....

It all began with a simple phone call from a friend. In the blog he will be referred to as Hobbes, from Calvin & Hobbes fame. That's because he took a sick leave from work and might get in trouble if his boss found that he was instead hiking the Grand Canyons.

After my move to Phoenix Hobbes called and took me up on our long made plans to hike the Grand Canyons. Without hesitation I said yes. We had no real information about hiking the Grand Canyons just some trivial information gathered from friends and web reads. First up, campsite reservation. Yeah, you heard me "reservation for the campsite". Even though its in the middle of a desert winter can get pretty chilly at both the Rims, with temperature falling in the low 20s. So hiking in winter can be a bit tricky. We still had had difficulty getting a spot in November and we thought we were the only crazy ones.

Made a few calls to the Grand Canyon National Park - Backcountry office, I made the reservations. And that is my sole contribution in organizing this trip and Hobbes would gladly and grumpily confirm that. :) The D-Day was set 18th Nov. woooohoooo Grand Canyons here we come........

I can go on an on about both the Grand Canyons and my hike. So I have decide to write short essays instead. I am hoping you will have as much fun reading it as I had trekking it. The blogs that would follow will be in no particular order. I will be placing hyperlinks at the bottom so that its easy to track them and they will have the same title. With the long weekend coming up I am hoping to write them all pretty soon.

Words fail to describe the beauty and resplendency of the Grand Canyons. As picturesque as they are from the rim, they are simply awe-inspiring and majestic from within the valley.

Had it not been for him; the Grand Canyons trek, like all others would've just remained a wish.
Thank you Hobbes for making it a memory.

No comments: