Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Rocking in the rockies.. part II

...I try my best to stick to what I say, and I know I had promised to write part II of the Rockies trip but haven't done it. So, I should either learn to keep my promises, or shut my pie-H@*#...
But its better late then never, so here it is. Of all the great memories from the trip this is probably the one that's etched in forever...

...a single lane road meandering through a lush green valley flanked by ragged mountains on one side and rolling meadows on the other..... the black tar chugging along the footsteps of the mountains, marking a boundary between the Mountain kingdom and the Meadow kingdom....a peloton of bike riders lining the road's edge like spring flowers....driving alongside the bikers feels like being in one of the team cars in tour de france.
The only thing missing; crazy european spectators.....

..preparations
I had packed light for the Denver trip and was not carrying my hiking gear, so had to stop by REI. While deciding on a trail I would highly recommend talking with the local hikers (along with some online research). Most of them are very approachable and are more than happy to share their opinions and experiences something that is difficult to find online. I met with a few during the day and then after talking to the folks at REI narrowed my options to 3-4 trails. The folks at REI were really helpful, I do however have to give special thanks to Jenny. Jenny was awesome, not only did she give all the information about the trails, wildlife, local hazards etc. She also gave me a details about which routes are the most scenic to drive through and which ones to avoid for traffic. Armored with my gear and the information I needed I was all set for tomorrow.
* I am being very liberal in my use of the term gear, it was nothing fancy just a backpack, poles and crampons..

..the night before... or should I say the dawn off..
What was supposed to be a 2 hours trip to Red Rock Amphitheater turned out to be a late late night excursion. More details about the concert are in my previous blog. By the time we reached home it was 3-4 ish. I say 3-4ish because when you come home that late 3or4 its all the same. Having no energy to even stand, packing was not even and option. I just hit the sac with the hope of getting up on time to start early..
(hahaha early. I had initially planned to start the drive at around 6:30, what a fool..)

..the hike
Miraculously I woke up on time. Shawn, a friend of the guys I was staying with was going to join me. But, he too had late late Friday night out and bailed out on me. Having come this far I was determined not to let this opportunity pass by, so decided on doing the hike alone. Ticked off items on my hiking checklist, purchased food from Krogers and was on my way out, sharp 7:45. What I liked about Denver the most was; 30 mins of driving on the interstate and you are out in the country side. I had the GPS with me, but decided to take the route given by Jenny. And I thank her again for that. My whole drive was spent like a deer at a water pond, half my attention was on the road.and half on the landscape I was driving through. Stealing as many glimpses of the beautiful country side.
Though the snow clad peaks of the Rockies are visible even from the city, the first real glimpse from up close left me speechless and speechless is an attribute rarely associated with me, my friends will attest to that ;). While driving along the forest road the pine trees on the left suddenly cleared and there they were rising majestically across the valley, their peak still covered with pristine white snow. The COLORADO ROCKIES!!!!! I had read in one of the travel journals that the Himalayas and even more breathtaking. The first thought that came to my mind was, what a fool I have been to stay so close and still haven't see them, perhaps in the near future. From then on the peaks followed every where I went, all the way up to the trail head.
The hike, with and elevation gain of about 700 feet over 1.8 miles can honestly be rated as an easy-moderate. But luckily for me the trail was covered in snow which added to the difficulty :). On good thing about hiking is you can either choose to hike alone and no one with bother you. Or you always meet people to hike with. That's how I met Joel and Lucy. A very charming old couple maybe in their mid 60's. Our conversations ranged on a wide variety of topics. Their most fond memories were from their hikes to Mauna Kea, the highest summit in Hawaii. Having lived in the Rockies all his life Joel knew a lot about the regions geology and history. Needless to say the whole hike was very educational, I learnt a lot about the mountains, the region's native American history and also got some much needed pointers on snow hiking. Its not rocket science, but if you are not careful you can get into serious trouble. Now that I have completed a snow hike, the winters are open to hiking as well ;)
(Thank god my mom does not read my blogs)

..the Trail Ridge pass and the drive back
On my way down, lack of sleep for the past 3 days was finally catching up on me. Rather than risking driving into a ditch I decide to pull over and take a nap. Waking up refreshed I took a quick snack and was on my way to Trail Ridge pass. I was in no hurry so was pulling over every chance I got to soak in the scenic landscaped. Added elks to the list of wildlife I've seen in the wild. Trail ridge pass is the highest pass in US and crosses the continental divide. This comes with very high recommendations from Joel and is a must do, if you are in the rockies.
As you move up the pass the trees thin out and are non-existant at the top. Extremely hostile weather and high wind speeds make it almost impossible for anything but shrubs and grass to grow here. Years of wind erosion have given the mountain a bald look. A very narrow single lane road hugs the mountain slopes. With no trees to block your view you can see the road snaking up all the way to the top. No banking on the road make you feel exposed to the elements and you have to be really careful driving up the steep gradients and winding roads.
Certain sections have 20-30 feet tall snow walls flanking the road. Its a constant reminder of the amount of snow accumulation that happens over the winter. Its no surprise that the pass is closed all through winter and opens up only on memorial day. Huge show ploughs/cutters are employed to literally carve out the road.
I parked at the top and did a small 1 mile hike. It was a surreal feeling to have the almost hold you up when you lean into it. Spent some time taking pictures and admiring the beauty. Since it was getting late I decide against doing the complete loop. The drive back was uneventful and no matter how much time I spend in the mountains, I am always sad to leave them behind.

Instead of doing injustice to the picturesque mountains by describing it, I would do injustice to it by positing the photos I took. Its at time like these I wish I had half-way decent skills, either as a photographer or as a writer to capture the essence of the amazing places I get to visit.
(But then if I had a wish, I would really wish to be a billionaire)

No comments: